Wednesday, June 24, 2009

An interview with Tim Carroll


We are continuing our series of interviews with Tim Carroll, who will take part in the Swindon Open Studio 2009.

Tim also has an exhibition coming at
the Art Centre in Swindon of his recent painting of Rome.


Rome - Colosseum by Tim Caroll


From 14 July - 5 September Tim Carroll's drawings of Rome will be on display at Swindon Arts Centre. Here are the details for this exhibition:



'Views of Rome' by Tim Carroll
Swindon Arts Centre
6 Devizes Rd
Swindon, SN1 4BJ
Tuesday 14th July to Saturday 5th September
'Meet the artist' Monday 13th July.





Rome-The Winter's Tale, by Tim Carroll



Q – Could you introduce yourself briefly to the readers?

Good evening. I am an artist living and working in Swindon. I am part of the
Artsite Group located in Theatre Square in the town centre. A great location for that sort of thing. Benoit has asked me to answer a few questions for the Swindon Open Studios 2009 blog.

Q - How did you become interested in art?

I can remember when I was about five, my Grandma used to tell any visitors that I was a great artist and I believed her!
I also loved the smell of felt pens.

My father subscribed to the Time Life World of Art monthly magazines and had the complete set from Cave painting to Modern Art. I couldn’t understand why a lot of the pictures were worthy of inclusion, so in this way I became interested in the whys and wherefores of art history.


Workshop, by Tim Caroll


Q - What inspires you most as an artist?

Art

Q - What is your favourite medium or media? Why?

I use acrylic for convenience.

Q - Could you tell us some more about your work?

What a great question. Unfortunately I can’t talk about my work in general terms without sounding idiotic. Art is important to me and I try my best.

Q - How would you define your style?

Figurative revisionism with a dash of hope.





Blackbirds in Tree, by Tim Carroll


Q - What are your influences; artists from the past or present who inspire you?

As I said, art history can be an inspiration. For example, I am currently interested to see how far I can get in a painting without using photography and was pleased to discover that Turner would make notes and sketches with pencil and paper and add colour, from memory, back in his hotel room. So obvious and so brilliant. One of the spin-offs from this approach is that you are forced to develop all sorts of practical drawing and memory skills which might otherwise have withered away. Hurrah!

The art that has made the most impact on me recently has been the Raphael School tapestries in The Vatican and the Masolino fresco in San Clemente, Rome.

Steven Campbell and Jock MacFadyen’s work I find interesting.



Q - How do you choose the subjects of your works?

Choose a subject? What a quaint idea.



Q- How do you prepare yourself for an exhibition or a show like the Open Studios?

I do as much as I can with the time I’ve got and try to leave myself enough to tie up loose ends, prepare labels, leaflets, invites, etc. which always takes much longer than you think.


Q- You took part in the Swindon Open Studios in the past, what did it bring to you?

Quite a lot of visitors. Everybody was very kind and I enjoyed being an ‘artist’ for the day. I have no difficulty in talking about my work but you have to pitch it to suit your listener and to get the most out of the event you might have to think of different ways of answering the same questions.


Q - Are there territories (media, subjects, etc.) you want to explore in the coming years?

I’d like to make work on a different scale, either bigger or smaller. ‘The City’ is a theme I’d like to explore more.


Q - As an artist, what would be your dream?

To have a painting in a public collection.

Ship- Gold, by Tim Carroll


Q - Could you share one thing that you have learnt in your own art practice that would be useful to other artists?

Take a photograph of your work before selling it.



To view more of Tim’s work, make sure you visit
his website.

No comments:

Post a Comment