Wednesday, August 26, 2009

An interview with Pat Elmore



Q – Could you introduce yourself briefly to the readers?

Born in Rugby, I travelled around a bit being a railwayman’s daughter, but ended-up in Longcot, where I have lived since 1975.



Fossil - Stone resin - by Pat Elmore



Q - How did you become interested in art?

In a boring drawing office job, I carved the erasers with a one sided razor blade.

Q - What inspires you most as an artist?

My family of four sons and two daughters and a Morris dancer husband who looks like Father Christmas, also the flow of geometric shapes.

Q - What is your favourite medium or media? Why?

Wood and stone, its magic to carve natural materials that could be 1000s of years old.


The Plait - Walnut - by Pat Elmore

Q - Could you tell us some more about your work?

I am a direct carver I don’t work from drawings or maquettes; attitude and movement in my work is my aim and revealing the natural beauty of wood and stone.

Q - How would you define your style?

Being self taught my style is unique.



Nina 1 Soapstone by Pat Elmore




Q - What are your influences; artists from the past or present who inspire you?

Frans Hals for capturing the soul in a face and Rodin the master of attitude.

Q - How do you choose the subjects of your works?

My grey matter is so full of ideas, my problem is which one to use.




Nina 2 bronze resin by Pat Elmore



Q- How do you prepare yourself for an exhibition or a show like the Open Studios?



I tidy my studio, finish as much work as possible and prey to the gods.


Q- Did you take part in the Swindon Open Studios in the past?

Yes last year.

Q - Are there territories (media, subjects, etc.) you want to explore in the coming years?

No.

Q - As an artist, what would be your dream?

I would love to make a 6 metres high sculpture. My dream would be when I am pushing up daisies, that my work would still be giving people pleasure.


Q - Could you share one thing that you have learnt in your own art practice that would be useful to other artists?

Life is too short, so do what you enjoy, sod everything else, work from your soul, don’t let anyone influence you.



Go to the website of Pat Elmore to see more of her works.

No comments:

Post a Comment