Thursday, August 6, 2009

An interview with Sue Dickinson

Q – Could you introduce yourself briefly to the readers?

My name is Sue Dickinson, I’m originally from Plymouth, but have been living and working in Swindon for the past 9 years

Q - How did you become interested in art?

My interest in art came from taking an evening class in ceramics run by Swindon College, I enjoyed it so much, I then did a years access course followed by a 2 year HND in ceramics

Q - What inspires you most as an artist?

What inspires me most as an artist is the sea, pebbles and washed up articles found on the shoreline. I also love it when people praise my work-don’t we all!

Q - What is your favourite medium or media? Why?

My current favourite medium is clay especially porcelain slip (liquid clay) and crank clay-both have such different textures and qualities

Q - Could you tell us some more about your work?


I create pendants that are very tactile, like washed up shiny pebbles on the beach. As a sideline, I’ve just started producing small ornamental cats-I love cats and have made a few in the past for friends



Jewellery by Sue Dickinson


Q - How would you define your style?

Each piece of my jewellery is hand crafted, so each piece is unique.

Q - What are your influences; artists from the past or present who inspire you?

A few of my favourite ceramicists who are influencing my work include Paul Jackson, Nicky May and Charlotte Jones who are all from the present day

Q - How do you choose the subjects of your works?

From being influenced by the elements and the weather-the sea can be all different colours and take on so many shapes depending on the weather

Q- How do you prepare yourself for an exhibition or a show like the Open Studios?

I am preparing for open studio by producing as much as I can beforehand! I have a shared studio space at Wagon Yard in Marlborough, which I share with 3 other potters and we all give each other a lot of support and encouragement when it comes to exhibitions!


Q- Did you take part in the Swindon Open Studios in the past?

This is my first open studio

Q - Are there territories (media, subjects, etc.) you want to explore in the coming years?

I’d like to do more with textiles and somehow use textiles and ceramics together-but that’s a long way off!

Q - As an artist, what would be your dream?

To run my own shop in Devon/Cornwall where every article I made got sold!

Q - Could you share one thing that you have learnt in your own art practice that would be useful to other artists?

Keep at it and believe in your dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment