Sunday, August 30, 2009

An interview with Diana Crafer



Q – Could you introduce yourself briefly to the readers?

I am the present Chairperson of The Swindon Artists Forum and also a member of several other societies Marlborough Artists Society, Wiltshire Artists Society, Highworth Artists society and the late Swindon artists Society.




Swans in Queens Park



Q - How did you become interested in art?

I cannot remember when I wasn't. I have been interested in art as long as I can remember.



Riot in the Hedgerow - Pastel by Diana Crafer



Q - What inspires you most as an artist?

Lots of things inspire me: light on water, the fluid grace of an animal's body, sunsets, clouds formations... I could go on. Sometimes they swirl in my brain until the right moment comes.




The end of a lovely day - Pastel by Diana Crafer




Q - What is your favourite medium or media? Why?

My favourite medium is pastel. The immediacy of the medium delights me; I feel so close to the work in progress; no tools - just the pastel, my fingers and the support. I like the feeling of being so closely in touch with my work.

Q - Could you tell us some more about your work?

If I am painting a landscape or a seascape, I try to convey my own feelings at the time of seeing the view - it may be amusing or something that thrilled me or filled me with awe.





Land's End - pastel by Diana Crafer



Q - How would you define your style?

My work is conventional.


Q - What are your influences; artists from the past or present who inspire you?

There are many artists past and present whose work delights me but I try to make my work my own.




Evening Glow - Pastel by Diana Crafer




Q - How do you choose the subjects of your works?

Quite often I feel the subject chooses me, demanding that I paint it.

Q- How do you prepare yourself for an exhibition or a show like the Open Studios?

I have never formerly taken part in Open Studios. For an exhibition it would depend whether there was a theme, this would probably take time to think about first.


Q- Did you take part in the Swindon Open Studios in the past?

As I said, I have not taken part in Open studios before.

Q - Are there territories (media, subjects, etc.) you want to explore in the coming years?

I am always promising myself that I will try this or the other - time is the enemy.





The Champion - Pastel by Diana Crafer



Q - As an artist, what would be your dream?

To paint a picture and be completely satisfied with it.

Q - Could you share one thing that you have learnt in your own art practice that would be useful to other artists?

That the important thing is to enjoy whatever you are doing; to observe and be delighted in the beauty which is always to be found around one, even in the most surprising places.

No comments:

Post a Comment