Wednesday, September 2, 2009

An interview with Ann Gamble

Q – Could you introduce yourself briefly to the readers?

My name is Ann Gamble and I am married with a family. Being related to the famous poet James Hogg, I am unsurprisingly also a poet, as well as a struggling artist.

Q - How did you become interested in art?

My interest in art has been with me since I can first remember and I was originally sent to Art College, part-time, at the age of 14 and returned to it after several years as a management tutor.

Q - What inspires you most as an artist?

Peace and vibrancy both have their own particular charm in people and places, and of course, can be very exciting in diverse ways.







Q - What is your favourite medium or media? Why?

My current mostly used medium is pastels, for ease of expression, although I do have a broad spectrum including oil and watercolour.

Q - Could you tell us some more about your work?

My main commission are as a portrait artist of people and animals. However, I also paint landscapes and still life.

Q - How would you define your style?

I like to portray character and feeling, not only in my portraits but in all my work.



Q - What are your influences; artists from the past or present who inspire you?

Like a child in a sweet shop, it is difficult to choose. However I love the way Rubens shows such character in his work and I admire Courbet as well as the expressionism of Matisse.

Q - How do you choose the subjects of your works?

Interesting faces and places (when it is not commissioned) and I work from photographs mainly, as sitters rarely keep still and usually want to talk. Real life is often best for me when choosing flowers, etc.

Q- How do you prepare yourself for an exhibition or a show like the Open Studios?

By working on a broad spectrum of my art, to show diversity and expression.




Q- Did you take part in the Swindon Open Studios in the past?

This is my first one, however I have taken the trouble to visit others in the past.

Q - Are there territories (media, subjects, etc.) you want to explore in the coming years?

Yes, I am presently trying to find the courage to use air-brushing as a technique. So far I have the equipment but not the time to practice!

Q - As an artist, what would be your dream?

My own solo successful exhibition and more hours in the day!

Q - Could you share one thing that you have learnt in your own art practice that would be useful to other artists?

Each canvas is your ‘child’. Enjoy seeing your work grow and try to find peace and stimulation in each complete piece.



No comments:

Post a Comment